Roasting radishes turns their spicy, slightly bitter, raw flavor into slightly sweet, caramelized, melt in your mouth treats. Try this recipe using Purple Ninja Radishes and Emily’s Own Local Flavored Butter.
- 2 bunches of radishes rinsed well and halved, quarter, sliced or shaved
- 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon thinly sliced
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Flaky sea salt for topping
- hand full fresh minced herbs optional
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Toss the radishes and olive oil together on a rimmed baking sheet until evenly coated. Arrange the thinly sliced lemon on the sheet and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for 15 – 25 minutes, tossing once halfway through, until the radishes are tender, and the greens tops are crispy. Exact time will depend on how you cut them (shorter roasting time for thinner cuts and longer for thicker cuts).
- Serving warm, straight from the oven, finishing with a sprinkle of flakey sea salt and some fresh minced herbs, a squeeze of lemon pairs wonderfully too.
- When possible, buy local and seasonal radishes.
- To facilitate browning and caramelization, roast your radishes cut side down.
- Choose radishes with vibrant green and crisp leaves.
- Radish tops are edible!!! They’re delicious and nutritious!
ADDITIONAL WAYS TO USE ROASTED RADISHES
- Add them to salads, grain bowls and appetizer platters
- Try slicing them different ways to get different tastes – try sliced thin like potato chips or quartered
- Add other items to roast with the radishes – try bacon or garlic and chili flakes
- Serve on top of some of Emily’s Own Local Flavored Butter
- Pair with Lemon Garlic Shrimp
Recipe and Photo Source: Waves in the Kitchen