Fresh zucchini, squash, onions and tomatoes cooked up with sweet corn and green chilies then topped with crumbled, salty queso fresco, this Calabacitas Recipe (Calabacitas Con Queso) is incredibly easy to make in under 30 minutes!
- 2 tbsp. olive oil, bacon fat or cooking oil
- 2 zucchini cut in 1″ pieces
- 2 squash cut in 1″ pieces
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 1 can sweet corn drained or fresh corn off the cob
- 20 grape tomatoes halved
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 4 oz. diced green chilies drained
- 1/2 cup Queso fresco (more if desired)
- chopped fresh cilantro (optional for garnish)
Heat the fat in a skillet over medium heat and saute the onions until they are translucent, about 3-5 minutes.
Add zucchini and squash and cook until they start to tenderize, about 3-4 minutes.
Add the corn and diced chilies and saute for about 5 minutes.
Add the tomatoes and cook another 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper and remove from heat.
Add queso fresco, mix and serve.
Recipe and Photo Source: https://www.wenthere8this.com/new-mexico-style-calabacitas/