Fried Green Tomatoes are a staple of summer. They’re simple to make and can be enjoyed on their own as well as turned into a meal.
- 3 large green tomatoes, cu into 1/3 inch slices
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup milk or butter milk
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup corn meal
- 1 tp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Vegetable Oil
- Combine egg and milk or buttermilk; set aside.
- Combine 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, cornmeal, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper in a shallow bowl or pan.
- Dredge tomato slices in remaining 1/4 cup flour; dip in egg mixture, and dredge in cornmeal mixture.
- Pour oil to a depth of 1/4 to 1/2 inch in a large cast-iron skillet; heat to 375°. Drop tomatoes, in batches, into hot oil, and cook 2 minutes on each side or until golden.
- Drain on paper towels or a rack.
- Sprinkle hot tomatoes with salt.
- Serve with sour cream
- Use to make an awesome BLT
- Top with tartar sauce and lump crab meat
- Add to your Caprese Salad for a bit of crunch