Acorn Squash stuffed with Sausage and Apples makes a simple and healthy main course.
- 2 small acorn squashes, or 1 large
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ lb sausage
- 1 apple, chopped
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- Using a sharp knife cut off the very top and bottom of each squash to create a flat base on each side (being careful not to cut through the center cavity).
- Slice the squash in half, scrape out seeds to create individual bowls for the stuffing.
- Drizzle each squash half with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Roast in a preheated oven at 400˚F (200˚C) for 40-50 minutes – or until fork tender.
- While squash is roasting – in a large fry pan over medium heat – heat oil and add Onion, Celery, Salt, Pepper, and Rosemary. Cook until onions begin to soften.
- Add Garlic and Sausage, until sausage is browned on all sides.
- Add Apple until slightly softened. Finally mix in Bread Crumbs and Parmesan cheese just until incorporated. Remove from heat.
- Once Squash has finished roasting (when you can easily poke it with a fork) remove from oven and fill each with prepared stuffing mixture.
- Return to Oven for 20 minutes – adding a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese to the top for the final 5 minutes.
Recipe Source: Tasty